We closely work with OEMs, Tier 1 or Tier 2 automotive suppliers to develop advanced driver assistance systems customized to their needs. More than 10 million of automobiles worldwide already carry radar sensors designed by smartmicro.
smartmicro delivers the overall system design, automotive development and verification testing. We take care of A, B and in some cases even C sample development as well as CAD and production line design that are mass production ready.
We can build developments on existing, mature platform designs. Many platforms are already in production, which reduces risks to a minimum and results in a short time to market. It also saves cost and resources for our customers.
Based on existing platforms we develop highly customized solutions that address the individual needs of a project. In close collaboration with our customers we provide development services and ensure highest quality standards.
Our radar technology takes autonomous driver assistance to the next level. We already provide sensors with longest range and widest field of view. In the process, cost optimization of design and manufacturing is continuously addressed together with the supplier.
We have over 20 years of experience in the design and development of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). With 125 employees, mostly highly specialized engineers with 10 years or more experience, smartmicro has a long and successful track record.
ADAS PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
OUR REFERENCE DESIGNS
smartmicro has been working with many 1st tier automotive suppliers, some of them being among the world’s top 10, to support their development and/or production programs. We design and develop radars according to end customer or OEM specifications. The sensors are then always built on the 1st tier's manufacturing line. Product support is provided as well as training for field application and production engineers.
In close cooperation with the leading semiconductor manufacturers, we make reference designs for automotive sensors and can build on several of our already developed platforms.
We can build on our already developed platforms, that are referred to as CAT or CATegory:
- [CATegory 1-3] | at 24GHz
- In production since 2009
- CATegory 4 | 4D/UHD at 76-77GHz
- Long- and Medium-Range Radar – up to 180m range
- For forward-looking applications like Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- CATegory 5 and 6 | 4D/UHD at 76-81GHz
- Short-, Medium- and Long-Range Radar – up to 120m range
- For rear corner applications like Blind Spot Detection (BSD), Lane Change Assist (LCA(C)), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Rear Collision Warning (RCW) or Exit Assist
- For front corner applications like Front Cross Traffic Alert (FCTA)
- Ultra-short-range mode for parking
- 360-degree sensor fusion possible
- CATegory 7 | 4D/UHD at 76-81GHz
- Ultra-Short-Range Radar
- For interior applications like child-left-behind, gesture and motion detection
- CATegory 8 | 4D/PixelHD at 76-81GHz
- Imaging radar with true resolution in 2 axes (azimuth and elevation)
- For forward applications like Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
The best partner for ADAS
We are typically responsible for the A, B and in some cases C sample development and for mechanical and production line design. In all cases, smartmicro does the overall system design, development and verification testing including:
- Antenna system, RF hardware, transmit waveform
- Complete hardware, digital and RF
- Signal processing software
- Object tracking software and function algorithm (warning, distance control etc.)
- Vehicle data, other sensor data and radar data fusion algorithms
Cost optimization during design and manufacturing is continuously addressed in close cooperation with the customer.
Millions of vehicles worldwide carry radar sensors designed by smartmicro. smartmicro has invented the Lane Change Assist (LCA) radar in partnership with Audi and started production in 2006 with a production partner. The patented technology was later enhanced by introducing additional functions like Blind Spot Detection (BSD), Rear Cross Traffic Assist (RCTA) and Rear Collision Warning (RCW).
Longer range Forward Collision Warning (FCW) sensors went in production in 2008. Today, 76-81GHz sensors are developed and mass-produced for all types of corner radar applications, with up to 4GHz bandwidth and 120m range, as well as for Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and other functions in the 4th generation. Customers like Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, Mazda, Porsche, PSA and Hyundai/Kia use smartmicro technology.
Prof. Dr. Hermann Rohling and Dr. Ralph Mende worked at the Technical University of Braunschweig on automotive radar since 1993 and founded smartmicro in 1997.
We have over 20 years of experience in the design and development of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS).
Design, Development and Testing
On the smartmicro premises massive facilities are available for the automotive frequency range 76-81GHz, among those are:
- Design tools
For antennas, RF design, digital design, mechanical CAD
- Prototype manufacturing
High precision automated SMT, mechanical prototyping equipment
- Lab test equipment
Antenna test, RF test, digital test, target simulators
- Anechoic chambers
Five for development, four for production
- Environmental test equipment
Thermo/hydro test chambers
- Vehicle test equipment
Special on-vehicle radar test stands, radar test car fleet
- Development and test tools
CAN/Ethernet data logger
- Automated radar performance benchmarks
- Testing FIRST framework
- Automated test of s/w
- Automated test of configurations – all modes, waveforms, frequency bands of one sensor type
- Automated test of all communication interfaces, power
- Automated acceptance testing against functional specifications
DEVELOPMENT PROCESS AND QUALITY CONTROL
smartmicro has established an ISO9001 quality control system and executes ISO26262 (ASIL - functional safety) compliant development processes and products. The smartmicro Quality Assurance Team has developed software a set of rules for the design process / software design considering Automotive SPICE process definitions. smartmicro holds all software under strict version control and operates an issue tracking tool.
PRODUCTION AND END-OF-LINE TESTING
smartmicro runs an in-house production line comprising Surface Mount Technology (SMT), sensor assembly and automated end-of-line test equipment.
Our off-the-shelf radar sensors feature 4D/UHD object separation in range, speed and azimuth angle – even when traffic objects are only 4cm apart or their speed difference is just 0.2m/s.
Our radar sensors measure three-dimensional positions (x, y, z) of multiple reflectors simultaneously. They also allow for direct unambiguous speed (Doppler) measurement of up to 500km/h within a single cycle using our patented AB modulation technology.
smartmicro radar sensors support several interfaces, such as CAN (FD) or 2nd CAN, as well as 10/100 4-wire Ethernet or 2-wire automotive Ethernet IEEE 802.3bw.
smartmicro radar sensors cover an extensive range and a very wide field of view. They outperform other products on the market by far. Our radars can detect, track and classify up to 256 objects simultaneously.
Our radars feature up to four center frequencies and thus enable high resolution. An operation at 76-77GHz or 76-81GHz bandwidth is possible and multiple sensors can be used interference-free on one platform.
Our radar sensors carry adaptive antennas and enable multi-mode operation. Short-, medium- and long-range modes are user selectable and enable to switch between wide or narrow TX.
HIGH PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS
We offer high performance automotive grade products made by smartmicro. They have special features for automated vehicle integration and represent the 4th generation of automotive radar sensors, introducing 4D/UHD technology.
The main features of our high performance products are:
- 4D/UHD resolution featuring angular resolution and elevation measurement
- Up to 4GHz bandwidth
- Multi-mode (short/medium/long) switchable with single cycle latency
- Multi-band, featuring up to four center frequencies for interference-free operation
- Adaptive antennas: wide/narrow or straight/squint software selectable
- Patented direct unambiguous speed measurement (500km/h)
- Self-calibration and diagnosis, interference suppression
- CAN(FD) and 2-wire automotive Ethernet i/f
- Streaming data interfaces, typically used for sensor fusion (like point cloud, spectrum ...)
- Plug-and-play multi-sensor fusion
- ROS support
- Tracking and function software for many applications
our products impress
LOW UNIT COST
SHORT MEASUREMENT TIME
UPCOMING | FOR UMRR-96 TYPE 153
Our new 3D Occupancy Grid will enable slowly driving vehicles - like delivery robots - to avoid collisions with stationary obstacles or moving objects like pedestrians.
The sensor environment is monitored and tracked in a 3D grid and vehicles equipped with the sensor can detect any obstacles in front of them. It is even possible for the vehicle to decide if an obstacle can be over or under passed.
The sensor does not require any data from the vehicle and can be mounted at any position. All algorithms and functions are integrated in the radar sensor, which means that no additional hardware is required.
All the accessories you need
To facilitate the mounting and adjusting of our sensors, we offer two different types of brackets. With our straight brackets, the sensors can easily be mounted while our advanced brackets allow for more varied mounting positions.
USING THE DRIVE RECORDER
The Drive Recorder is a powerful tool for visualizing, monitoring, recording and playback as well as remote control of smartmicro radar data and synchronized digital video. It is designed to receive all kind of data (typically detected reflectors) from radar or other types of sensors. The Drive Recorder is easy to install and your ready-to-run software solution to interface smartmicro sensors.
smartmicro ships this software along with the radar sensors because it allows you to simply connect the radar to a power supply and a PC and see radar data and correct operation within only 15 minutes.
The Drive Recorder has also fully user configurable desktops and can be used for many kinds of visualization, data export to MATLAB or Microsoft Excel format, sending commands to the radars or for downloading new software to the sensors. In case of technical problems, recordings can be taken quickly by the customer and be sent to smartmicro engineers for analysis. Digital video streams can be recorded synchronously with the data messages from multiple radar sensors.
The Drive Recorder is running under Microsoft Windows. See data sheet
*This software is protected against reverse engineering using Themida (a commercial software encryption tool). Some virus scan engines might complain. smartmicro assures that no viruses or any harmful code is contained in the software provided under the link above. For all automotive applications registration is required.
The demand for automated processes is increasing in many different areas of everyday life, from automated driving to industrial robots. With this growing demand, more customers use Robot Operating Systems (ROS) for the data fusion and data processing of their sensor setups.
smartmicro is offering ROS support / ROS drivers for easier customer integration of the radar sensors including ready-to-run real-time display in ROS. Customers can read the proprietary radar protocol into ROS, which significantly facilitates the processing and visualization of radar data.
Both setup tools are powerful data logging and visualization software suites which provide the following functions:
- Displays field of view and all detected, tracked and classified objects in a 2- or 3-dimensional view in real-time
- Receives, logs, plays back and displays data from multiple connected sensors coming from any available physical interface
- Displays streams of digital video cameras which may be connected to the radar network for documentation purposes
- Monitors sensor status and self-test results
- Allows software upload or command transmission to sensors
- Provides options for the export of data to standard formats like MATLAB or .csv
- Fully configurable to the individual automotive sensor installation and to the user's preference
- (Automotive) Ethernet, CAN(FD), RS485 interfaces for multiple sensors each
We offer a free demo kit that can be used to test the radar performance under real-world conditions according to your individual needs. Get hands-on experience with your ready-to-run demo kit, consisting of:
smartmicro radar sensor
Other than that, only a power supply and the installation of our free set-up software are needed. In case of questions you can rely on our qualified technical experts for individual support.
In case of questions you can count on our highly qualified technical experts for individual support. To assist you with any inquiries as quickly as possible our support team is spread on a global scale – with smartmicro experts in North America, Asia and Europe you can rely on our rapid assistance in almost every time zone.
For first-time users of smartmicro radar sensors webinars or online trainings can be organized on request. Additionally, we have the know-how to advise you during the project planning and design process or to give personal on-site support. Please feel free to contact us for advice.
CONTACT US ANYTIME FROM:
- ROS Setup (55 KB)
- Drive Recorder - Version 2.5 (27 MB) Note: This software is protected against reverse engineering using Themida (a commercial software encryption tool). Some virus scan engines might complain. smartmicro assures that no viruses or any harmful code is contained in the software provided under the link above.