Today, over 125 employees and radar experts build the strong team of smartmicro. Most of our staff work at the German headquarters in Braunschweig, while international offices are located in the US, Canada and China.
We closely cooperate with the Technical Universities in Braunschweig and Hamburg-Harburg as well as excellence partners in Germany and worldwide to enable and improve the development of radar processors, high-performance antenna technology, RFICs and RF modules.
We have been working for the largest automotive 1st tier suppliers, typically having $1bn revenue and more, to develop mass production radar sensors which are then manufactured by our customers. Today, smartmicro is also the most recommended radar sensor partner for traffic system providers and integrators worldwide.
Our modern smartmicro headquarters are located close to the technology campus at Braunschweig airport and comprise 3600m2 office and lab space as well as another 1000m2 test field and production labs. The construction of a new building for mass production started in March 2020.
We manufacture tens of thousands of radar sensors per year by in-house production – from mass products to prototypes. At smartmicro we perform high precision automated SMT, sensor assembly and fully automated end-of-line test.
Our quality management for design, development, production and sales is certified according to ISO 9001. We ensure highest standards in hardware and software quality and many of our products are compliant to different levels of ISO 26262.
We are proud of our history
At smartmicro we design, develop and manufacture radar solutions for traffic management, automotive and airborne industries. For more than 20 years we have been the leading specialist in high performance radar technology.
Our key motivation for providing highest performance and highest quality automotive and traffic management radar sensors is to make roads safer, to optimize traffic flow for reduced travel times and to enable greener, smarter cities. At smartmicro we stand for innovation, precision, passion and loyalty.
PROF. DR. RER. NAT.
Senior Vice President
DR.-ING. RALPH MENDE
Chief Executive Officer
Prof. Dr. Hermann Rohling and Dr. Ralph Mende founded smartmicro in 1997 – as a spin-off of the Institute for Communications Engineering at the Technical University of Braunschweig.
Prof. Hermann Rohling recently retired from being Vice President and Head of the Communications Department of the Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg (TUHH), while Dr. Ralph Mende is the Managing Director of smartmicro.
RADAR SYSTEM DESIGN
- Analysis of functional requirements
- Design, development and evaluation of antennas
- System design of transmit waveform and digital signal processing software
- Design and development of RF- and DSP modules
- Definition of test specifications and compliance testing
- High volume automotive and medium volume non-automotive product development
- Field-testing and qualification
- Automated end-of-line testing
- Quality and safety compliances
- SPICE and ASIL compliance
- Cost-down engineering
RADAR SIGNAL PROCESSING SOFTWARE
- V-model software development
- Software design tools
- Specification/traceability tools
- Version control/issue tracking
- Code analysis, integrity and module testing
RADAR EMBEDDED SOFTWARE
- Efficient implementation of radar algorithms
- Special embedded know-how for dedicated auto-radar multi-core processors including h/w accelerators
- DSP/MCU emulating, tracing, signal analysis
- Communication software for RS485, CAN(FD), Flexray and Ethernet stacks
- Embedded Linux, RTOS
RADAR CIRCUIT DESIGN
- Digital and RF schematics design
- Latest automotive RFIC solutions, all-CMOS
- PCB layout and housing/radome CAD
- In-house prototype assembly and testing
RADAR APPLICATION/FUNCTION DEVELOPMENT
- Automotive radar, traffic radar and airborne radar
- Operation of multiple radars in networks, sensor fusion
- Interference avoidance and suppression
- Flexible communication interfaces
RADAR RF MODULE DESIGN
- Power budget, signal chain, quality and bandwidth design
- Signal sources, mixers, filters and amplifiers design
- RFIC to antenna and digital i/f design
- RF performance analysis
RADAR ANTENNA DESIGN
- Array antennas, series arrays and waveguide antennas
- Slot coupled and thru-fed antennas
- Azimuth and elevation measurement
- Digital beam forming, MIMO and virtual arrays
- Radome design and bumper distortion compensation
AUTOMATED END OF LINE TEST AND CALIBRATION
smartmicro has a fully automated solution for end-of-line testing and calibration of 4D/HD high end sensors with multiple TX and RX antennas. Connected to a target simulator, it allows extremely precise measurements for azimuth and elevation angle, range and speed. More than 1000 parameters are checked.
MEET US AT THE NEXT TRADE SHOW
27th ITS World Congress
28th ITS World Congress
ANTENNA MEASUREMENT CHAMBERS
smartmicro operates one of the largest anechoic chambers in northern Germany with dimensions of 18 x 6 x 5m. It features a turntable for antenna azimuth and elevation measurements. In this chamber, sensors can be tested from -40 to +85°C. Five smaller anechoic chambers are available for development and production. Calibrated target simulators are used to create echoes from 20m to 20km range, any speed and a wide range of amplitudes. Precision pan-tilt suspensions enable a very precise antenna characterization.
RF DEVELOPMENT AND MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT
Signal source, spectrum and network analyzers, signal generators, power meters and other calibrated RF measurement equipment, calibrated antennae, calibrated reflectors are running in smartmicro labs. We use ADS Momentum, Empire (TM) and other design software. Instruments are available for frequencies of up to 110GHz, and up to 4GHz at 79GHz for radar bandwidths.
RADAR QUALIFICATION LAB
The smartmicro radar qualification lab allows long-term testing of products, especially High Temperature Operating Life (HTOL), accelerated aging etc. Interface tests are run for CAN(FD), Ethernet, relay and LED drivers.
ANGLE MEASUREMENT AND DISTORTION TEST STAND
smartmicro has an angle measurement and distortion test stand for the measurement of the exact behavior of radar sensors mounted behind plastic parts, which measure azimuth and elevation. Testing is possible with radar sensors attached to the final production location on a vehicle, hidden behind a bumper. This allows very precise antenna distortion behavior characterization. Testing is possible for all types of cars equipped with radars.
200M² AUTOMOTIVE TEST HALL
The smartmicro vehicle test hall is located adjacent to the radar test lab. Engineers may test in the lab and then take a vehicle for road tests. Fitting, aligning and calibrating radars on test cars is possible. Moreover, automotive OEM's end-of-line test setups are tested here.
EMC, TEMPERATURE AND CLIMATIC TEST CHAMBERS
For the pre-qualification of radar sensors, manual and automated sensor test and qualification is possible in smartmicro facilities for radiated and conducted emissions, power supply testing, temperature, humidity and IP test cases.